Spoonful of Sugar

Saturday 12 February 2011

What's cooking?

Dinner tonight was Arroz con pollo and Lemon Meringue Pie.
Nom.

The Arroz con Pollo was a recipe shown to me by my friend on the Ocado website.. I'd have never have seen it myself as we're too in the sticks for Ocado here.. It was delish - after I cooked it I stripped the chicken from the bone and mixed it though as it was a curl up on the sofa with a bowl of food kind of evening so wanted to make it easy. Child number 1 even ate and enjoyed it, though she picked out the peppers. Child number 2 had a bowl of plain rice. He'll learn.

Fried peppers, garlic and onions, with paprika, thyme, oregano and bay leaf

Chicken, stock, tomatoes, tomato puree, saffron, rice, lemon juice, S&P added..

Comfort food!
I'm not sure I've ever actually made Lemon Meringue totally from scratch before and sadly when I started making this one I forgot to check the state of my lemon stash.. there were 4 small sorry looking ones rather than 4 big juicy ones as demanded by the Hairy Bikers. I topped up the juice bit with some jif type juice but that did leave it a bit too tart and lacking in the fragrant zestyness that makes it so good.
It worked out pretty good in the end, although not quite what I'd hoped for.
Obviously I'm about to go and raid the fridge for a supper sized slice..


1 comment: